It is essential to ensure that websites are designed and developed with accessibility in mind, as it provides equal access and opportunity for everyone to benefit from the content and functionality of a website.
This article will discuss why website accessibility is important and some key considerations for achieving it.
- Accessibility is a legal requirement: In many countries, it is a legal requirement for websites to be accessible to individuals with disabilities. Failure to comply with accessibility guidelines can result in legal action, including lawsuits and fines.
- Accessibility is good for business: Besides being a legal requirement, website accessibility can also be good for business. By making websites accessible, businesses can reach a wider audience, including individuals with disabilities, leading to increased sales and customer loyalty.
- Accessibility is a moral obligation: Providing equal access to information and services is a moral obligation. By making websites accessible, businesses can promote inclusivity and ensure that everyone has the same opportunities to benefit from the content and functionality of a website.
- Accessibility is good for SEO: Search engines like Google favour accessible websites, as they provide a better user experience. This can lead to improved search engine rankings, which can drive more traffic to a website.
Key considerations for achieving website accessibility
- Provide alternative text (alt text) for images: This allows individuals with visual impairments to understand the content of images on a website.
- Use descriptive headings and titles: This helps individuals with screen readers understand a website’s structure and content.
- Provide captions and transcripts for videos: This allows individuals with hearing impairments to access the content of videos on a website.
- Use high-contrast colours: This makes reading a website’s content easier for individuals with visual impairments.
- Ensure the website is keyboard accessible: This allows individuals who cannot use a mouse to navigate the website using only a keyboard.
Website accessibility ensures equal access and opportunity for everyone, including individuals with disabilities.
By designing and developing websites with accessibility in mind, businesses can meet legal requirements, improve their search engine rankings, and promote inclusivity and equality.
If you’re interested in making your website more accessible, contact us to learn more about how we can help.